The Department of Tourism was established in November, 2008 to offer Bachelor of Technology in Tourism Management (a top-up degree programme for HND Tourism and Hospitality Management graduates). The Department begun running two additional programmes from the 2010/2011 academic year – a three-year HND programme in Tourism and a two-year Diploma programme in Tourism.
The Department aims to become a world-class centre of excellence for teaching/learning and research in Tourism Management and related studies in order to produce competent human resources to enhance national and global development of the tourism industry.
The Department of Tourism Management is dedicated to producing graduates through competency-based teaching approaches together with strong industry collaboration in order to contribute to the advancement of the tourism industry, both locally and globally.
The objectives of the Department are to:
1. Equip graduates with the managerial and operational skills to enable them work effectively in tourism agencies, organisations and related enterprises;
2. Equip graduates with the skills to set up and manage their own tourism ventures; and
3. Undertake research in the tourism industry, both locally and globally, in order to identify problems and suggest solutions.
Programmes offered by the Department include:
1. Bachelor of Technology in Tourism Management – a two-year Top-up programme for HND holders of Tourism and Hospitality Management;
2. Higher National Diploma in Tourism Management – a three-year programme; and
3. Diploma in Tourism Management – a two-year programme that runs through the normal semester programme of the University. Students of the two-year Diploma programme are awarded Diploma Certificates by the Takoradi Technical University upon completion of their studies.
1. Bachelor of Technology in Tourism Management – a four-year degree programme using the Competency-Based Training (CBT) curriculum.
2. Professional Certificate in Tour Guiding.
1. Professional Certificate in Events and Conference Management
2. Master of Technology in Tourism Product Development
3. Master of Technology in Leisure, Tourism and Sports Management
ACTIVITIES OF THE DEPARTMENT
A. Educational Tours
As part of the various training programmes of the Department, educational tours are organised to give students practical experiences in the fields of tourism and hospitality. Educational tours were therefore made to the following destinations:
Busua Beach Resort, Kakum National Park, Sekondi Naval Base, Akosombo Dam, Shai Hills Resource Reserve, Kwame Nkrumah Memorial Park, Aburi Botanical Gardens, Aburi Craft Village, Boti Falls, Koforidua Beads Market, Buabeng-Fiema Monkey Sanctuary, Nzulezu and Kintampo Water Falls. Others are Mole National Park, Larabanga Ancient Mosque, Mystic Stone and the Tamale Sport Stadium.