The Department of Hospitality Management is one of the four departments of the Faculty of Applied Sciences. It was established in 1962 to offer Dressmaking and Cookery courses to students. It assumed full departmental status in 1978.
At that time, it offered only an intermediate certificate course in Catering; it later offered a course in Advanced Catering. The Higher National Diploma (HND) in Hotel Catering and Institutional Management was introduced in 1995 as a tertiary programme when the University was upgraded to tertiary status. Additionally, the Department runs a four semester Bachelor of Technology in Hospitality Management top-up programme.
To train and produce middle to higher level hospitality industry specialists to feed and impact the hospitality industry positively
The vision of the Department is as follows:
1. To become a centre of excellence through the provision of quality hospitality industry-based education; and
2. To train and produce all-round graduates who can fit into local and international hospitality industries.
The main goal of the Department is to provide opportunity for research in order to contribute to knowledge enhancement in hospitality management.
The objectives of the Department are to:
1. Equip graduates with analytical and interpretative skills to enable them work effectively in hospitality establishments;
2. Train graduates to be able to function as consultants, where necessary, in the hospitality industry;
3. Equip graduates with the germane operational and managerial skills to work effectively in the hospitality industry;
4. Open avenues for graduates to acquaint themselves with strategies that can postion them to solve real life challenges in the hospitality industry; as well as
5. Produce competent personnel in the bid to make Ghana self sufficient in skilled manpower as regards hospitality management.
The programmes on offer include: Bachelor of Technology (B.Tech) in Hospitality Management (Regular and Weekend modes), Higher National Diploma (HND) in Hotel, Catering and Institutional Management (Regular and Evening modes) and Diploma in Hospitality Management.
The Department partook in the following events:
1. Inter-Polytechnic USA Rice and Chicken Cooking Competition held in August, 2017 at Accra (4th position); and
2. Ghana COCOBOD 70th Anniversary celebration Inter-Technical Universities’ Recipe Contest held on 22nd of September, 2017 (2nd position).