Mr. John Awuah Addor, HoD
The Department of Mathematics, Statistics and Actuarial is among the five departments that constitute the Faculty of Applied Sciences. The Higher National Diploma (HND) Statistics programme was introduced following the elevation of the Polytechnics in the country to tertiary institution status in 1993. Currently, the Department has a total of 61 students. Sixteen (16) of the students are in the first year, 22 are in the second year, while 23 are in the final year.
The vision of the Department is to adequately prepare and equip the HND Statistics graduates so that they can function effectively in the:
1. Oil and gas industry;
2. Telecommunication industry;
3. Banking and insurance industry; as well as other statistics-related industries.
The mission of the Department is to train students to acquire mathematical and statistical skills needed for proper functioning in the various sectors of Ghana’s economy.
Among the objectives of the Department are to:
1. Equip students with knowledge and skills needed to conduct rigorous researches;
2. Constantly review the scope of all the courses taught in the Department to reflect current trends in the industry and in academia; and
3. Train students to become hands-on statisticians who can use modern computer soft wares or programmes to achieve efficiency in whatever field they may find themselves.