The Department of Industrial Painting and Design as one of the departments that constitute the Faculty of Applied Arts and Technology. It was created from the Department of Fine Arts in the 2008/2009 academic year. The Department runs a three-year programme leading to the award of Higher National Diploma (H.N.D) in Commercial Arts (Painting Option), and one-year Painting and Decoration (P&D) Advanced and a Non-Tertiary programme. These programmes are aimed at equipping students with the basic knowledge and skills in Art, with specialisation in Painting.
The Department of Industrial Painting and Design offers the platform for the enhancement of artistic talents by training students to acquire creative and practical skills necessary for self-expression and employment.
To achieve excellence in producing painters and art graduates capable of pursuing independent studio practice and able to satisfy the aesthetic and functional needs of both national and international markets.
The Department of Industrial Painting and Design has set the following goals for development:
1. Explore new grounds of study through research and technology; and
2. Churn out well trained career-oriented graduates to contribute to national development.
The Department operates with the core objectives of ensuring that:
1. the students get the right skills and knowledge in the field of painting; and
2. the students fit into society and demonstrate good moral life and professionalism in painting.
The Department runs the following academic programmes:
1. Higher National Diploma in Commercial Arts (Painting Option); and
2. Painting and Decorating (Intermediate and Advanced levels) – a non-tertiary programme